Rwandan political activist killed in South Africa

Leading Rwandan opposition politician Seif Bamporiki has been shot dead in South Africa, where he lived in exile. A gunman fired a single bullet at Bamporiki as he was seated in a vehicle in a township in Cape Town, his Rwanda National Congress (RNC) party said. Wallets and mobile phones were stolen from the vehicle, but the motive was still unclear, the party said. Rwanda’s government has previously been accused of targeting dissidents in South Africa. It has consistently denied the allegation. The RNC was formed in exile by opposition politicians who accuse President Paul Kagame’s government of being authoritarian,…

Read More

US Congress writes to President Kagame over Hotel Rwanda Hero Rusesabagina

The United States Congress members have written to President Paul Kagame of the Republic of Rwanda requesting him to return Paul Rusesabagina, a US Lawful Permanent Resident and Presidential Medal of Freedom honoree, safely to the United States to be reunited with his family. “As Members of the U.S Congress who have a strong interest in US-Rwandan relations, we believe that releasing Mr Rusesabagina on humanitarian grounds is both justified and appropriate, since he is a cancer survivor in the midst of the Covid pandemic who suffers from several chronic medical conditions,” reads in part a letter which our reporter…

Read More

France ‘helped Rwanda genocide suspects escape’ in 1994

Authorities in Paris helped suspects in the 1994 Rwanda genocide to escape while under French military protection, according to a diplomatic cable, rekindling Kigali’s allegations that France secretly supported Hutu forces behind the killings. The document, written by France’s envoy to Rwanda and obtained by this reporter Sunday from a lawyer researching France’s actions during the genocide, suggested that Paris knew suspects had sought refuge in a “humanitarian safe zone” controlled by French soldiers. The soldiers had arrived in June 1994 as part of the UN-mandated Operation Turquoise to stop the massacres that left at least 800,000 people dead, mainly…

Read More

Rwanda exhuming mass grave of 5,000 genocide victims

Local authorities, residents and Ibuka, an umbrella organization of genocide survivors associations, are jointly exhuming a mass grave believed to contain remains of about 5,000 victims of the 1994 Rwandan genocide in Gatsibo District, eastern Rwanda, a local official said Wednesday. The exhumation of the mass grave recently discovered in Kiziguro sector according to testimonies of genocide survivors started on Tuesday and could take about three weeks, Mayor of Gatsibo District Richard Gasana said in a telephone interview. The pit, which was reportedly dug in the 1970s for water supply, is estimated to be 30 meters deep, said Gasana, adding…

Read More

87-year-old Rwandan genocide fugitive sent to The Hague

The Rwanda genocide fugitive Félicien Kabuga is now in the custody of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals in The Hague. The 87-year-old alleged mastermind of the horrific killings in Rwanda in 1994 was temporarily transferred from France on Monday to the UN’s detention facility in the Netherlands. “His initial appearance will be held in due course before a Judge of the Trial Chamber is assigned to his case,” the Mechanism which is based in Arusha said yesterday in a statement. Kabuga, once considered the richest person in Rwanda, eluded arrest for his role in the killings for the…

Read More

Rwandan fugitive steals £222,000 from Cathedral to feed gambling addiction

A volunteering cathedral treasurer in England has reportedly stolen £222,000 to feed his gambling addiction. Rene Mugenzi, a British citizen of Rwandan origin, stole the money from St John the Baptist Cathedral in Norwich, England while acting as its treasurer. Local media reports indicate that Mugenzi was jailed for more than two years at Norwich Crown Court on Friday for siphoning the cash off the church’s bank account into his own between March 2016 and May 2018. He admitted the fraud at Norwich Magistrates’ Court in July, but magistrates barred the public from knowing about the case because Mugenzi’s solicitor…

Read More

Ugandan website restores trashed story alleging Rutabana is dead

The managers of a Ugandan-based website SoftPower News happen to be facing total confusion and backlash after publishing on their website a story claiming that Benjamin Rutabana, a French citizen is dead. Rutabana, a French citizen of Rwandan origin disappeared on Ugandan soil in September 2019, a few days after he had landed in the country for a business trip. In the story dated August 30, 2020, they claimed to have interviewed a Rwandese army deserter who allegedly told them he had witnessed the killing of French citizen Benjamin Rutabana in cold blood. “I received Rutabana and saw everything. I…

Read More

‘Hotel Rwanda’ hero Paul Rusesabagina charged in Kigali, to answer 12 charges

Paul Rusesabagina, the Hollywood movie Hotel Rwanda hero, appeared in a court in Kigali on Monday for a pretrial hearing. He was brought to the Kagarama Primary Court in a detention van at about 9am, wearing a mask, a checkered jacket, a cream shirt, and khaki trousers amid tight security. Mr Rusesabagina only spoke to his lawyers as journalists flanked him inside the court to take pictures and videos. Presiding Judge Dorothy Yankurije read out a list of 12 charges against him including terrorism, murder, financing terrorism, forming terror groups, and arson. His lawyers requested the court to release him…

Read More

New exclusive findings on Benjamin Rutabana’s disappearance on Ugandan soil

An American human rights organization, International Relief and Human Rights Initiative (IRHRI), hasn’t called it quits in the search for the whereabouts of French citizen Benjamin Rutabana. Rutabana, a French citizen of Rwandan origin, disappeared on Ugandan soil in September 2019, a few days after landing at Entebbe International Airport. His disappearance still baffles his family, about a year on, and that’s the reason they approached IRHRI to help by applying their expertise and resources to locate Rutabana’s whereabouts. After launching its investigations and involving into other rigorous processes including among others, a court hearing, IRHRI has since established that…

Read More

American rights firm refutes Nyamwasa’s claims on missing Rutabana

American rights firm refutes Nyamwasa’s claims on missing Rutabana The American-based human rights organization, International Relief for Human Rights Initiative (IRHRI), has refuted claims by the exiled former Rwanda Defence Force Chief, Gen Kayumba Nyamwasa that he is not in any way involved in the disappearance of French citizen Benjamin Rutabana. Rutabana went missing in September, 2019 a few days after arriving in Uganda for a probably business trip. Rutabana, using passport number 16DA52086, left Brussels, Belgium on September 4, 2019 at 21:45 in an Emirates Airlines flight, had a stopover at Dubai International Airport, United Arab Emirates, before proceeding…

Read More